nav bar

Jack Bell Taken by Death;
Verdi Resident was Writer and Outdoor Life Authority

Nevada State Journal - August 13, 1952, Page 2

City Briefs - Apr 22, 1924

Death of Jack Bell, who was perhaps Nevada's most outstanding naturalist, occurred Saturday at the Veteran's Hospital here and was made public yesterday.

A nationally known writer on outdoor life, Jack Bell was 88 years of age and had resided at Verdi for the last 34 years. His activities, centered around those of a keen observer of the outdoors, were widespread although he was best known for his writings.

He was an expert on the habits of birds, game animals and fish, and he specialized in writing of those things. However, he was also a contributor to the Saturday Evening Post, and at the time he came to Verdi shortly after World War I he was correspondent for the New York News. Along with his duties as correspondent, Mr. Bell maintained a constant authorship for a number of nationally-known magazines.

Contributed to Journal

The Nevada State Journal welcomed his contributions for many years, and his writings never failed to have a special popular appeal for outdoorsmen of this area. His later activities included guide work for hunting and fishing parties, and his own abilities as a Truckee River fisherman were little short of legendary.

Born in Mercer, Penn., on February 15, 1864, he lived his early life in the East. He served as a non-commissioned officer in the Spanish-American War - the first of two wars in which he saw active duty.

On release from the Army, young Jack Bell went into journalism, but specialized in nature writing. During the Alaska Gold Rush, Jack Bell was in on the excitement but soon returned to the states to take up his writing career.

World War I found him again in the service, this time as a master sergeant in the signal corps. He saw action in France, and on coming back to this country took up his residence in Verdi.

Former Deputy Sheriff

During his years at Verdi, Jack Bell was a Washoe County sheriff's deputy as well as corresponder, writer and naturalist. He was noted for the size of the single-action Colt revolver he carried when on duty.

ON the outbreak of World War II, he offered his services again to the military, but was rejected because of age. It was noted at the time that he was in splendid health, and had the appearance and physical fitness of a much younger man due to his work in the outdoors.

For many years, Mr. Bell always attended the Armistice Day parades in Reno, and he invariable met with a group of friends afterwards to discuss old times.

He remained active until recently, when an attack of rheumatism prevented him from enjoying the fishing season as usual. He entered a Reno hospital several months ago, transferring to the Veterans' Hospital shortly before his death.

Mr. Bell was married about 30 years ago to Lola Bell, who came here from New York and later took over correspondence work for the New York News. Mrs. Bell died in 1941.

Surviving are two cousins, Frederick C. Bell of Mercer, Pa., and Ralph Bell of Erie, Pa. Mr. Bell was a member of American Legion Post No. 159 at Mercer.

The body will be accompanied to Sacrament for cremation and inurnment and final memorial rites will be held at a later date at O'Brien-Rogers Chapel in Reno.

nav bar

  Timeline and Articles,   Index,  

  Main Index,   Geneology,   More About Her  

  Index,   Selected Poetry,   All Poetry,   Letters,   Wife Jean

  Home,   Family,   Favorite Pages,   Site Map

IME logo Copyright © 2012, Mary S. Van Deusen