nav bar
Easier to Read Transcript

Full Account of the Pursuit and its Result.
He is Traced into St. Mary's County, Maryland.
Harrold and booth Discovered in a Barn.
Booth Declares He will not be Taken Alive.
The Barn Set on Fire to Force Them Out.
Lieut. Boston Corbett Fires at Booth
He is Shot Through the Neck and Dies in Three Hours.
His Body and Harrold Brought to Washington.

War Department,
Washington, April 27, 1865 - 9:20 A.M.

Maj.-Gen. John A. Dix, New-York:
J. Wilkes Booth and Harrold were chased from the swamp in St. Mary's County, Maryland, to Garrett's farm, near Port Royal, on the Rappahannock, by Col. Baker's force.

The barn in which they took refuge was fired.

Booth, in making his escape, was shot through the head and killed, lingering about three hours, and Harrold was captured. Booth's body and Harrold are now here.
Secretary of War.

Special Dispatch to the New-York Times.
Washington, Thursday, April 27.

About 8 o'clock last evening we received the intelligence of the capture of J. Wilkes Booth, the assassin of Abraham Lincoln, and one of his accomplices in the murder, David C. Harrold. The following are such of the particulars as we were enabled to gather, which, with the exception of the precise locality where the occurrence took place, we give as being reliable and correct. It having been pretty clearly ascertained that Booth and his accomplice had crossed the Potomac River at or near Aqula Creek, our cavalry scouts in that vicinity have been in consequence unusually active in their endeavors to get on their trail. Early yesterday morning a squad of about twelve men, belonging to the Sixteenth New-York Cavalry, under command of a Lieutenant, whose name we did not learn, succeeded in discovering the fugitives in a barn on the road leading from Port Royal to Bowling Green in Caroline County, Va. As soon as they were discovered, the place was surrounded and the assassins order to surrender. This they both refused to do, Booth declaring that he would not be taken alive, and offering to fight the whole squad if he would be permitted to place himself twenty yards distant from them. His proposition was not, however, acceded to, and as they persisted in their refusal to surrender, the Lieutenant determined to burn them out, and accordingly set fire to the barn, shortly after which Harrold came out and gave himself up. Booth remained in the burning building for some time, and until driven out by the fire, when he rushed out and was immediately shot through the neck by the sergeant of the squad.

Since the above we have had an interview with two of the cavalrymen engaged in the capture of the assassins. From them we learn that the whole party consisted of twenty-eight, including two detectives. The first information respecting Booth's crossing the river, and his probable whereabouts, were obtained from disbanded rebel soldiers who were met with in all directions in that part of the country. From one and another of these the clue to Booth's movements was gathered and held until just at daybreak they came upon the barn, where he and Harrold were secreted. A parley was held, and Booth manifested the most desperate determination not to be taken alive, and to take as many of the lives of the party as possible. Lieut. Edward P. Dougherty, who commanded the scouting party, determined to make short work of him. When Harrold saw the preparations for firing the barn, he declared his willingness to surrender, and said he would not fight if they would let him out. Booth, on the contrary, was xx defiant, offering at first to fight the whole squad at one hundred yards, and subsequently at fifty yards. He was hobbling on crutches, apparently very lame. He swore he would die like a man, etc. Harrold having been secured, as soon as the burning hay lighted the interior of the barn sufficiently to render the scowling face of Booth, the assassin, visible, Sergeant Boston Corbett fired upon him and he fell. The ball passed through his neck. He was pulled out of the barn, and one of his crutches, and carbine and revolvers secured; the wretch lived about two hours, whispering blasphemes against the government, and messages to his mother, desired her to be informed that he died for his country. At the time Booth was shot he was leaning upon one crutch and preparing to shoot his captors. Only one shot was fired in the entire affair -- that which killed the assassin.

Lieut. Doughtery is one of the bravest fellows in the cavalry service, having distinguished himself in a sharp affair at Culpepper Court-house and on other occasions. The Sixteenth New-York Cavalry is commanded by Col. Nelson Sweitzer, and has been doing duty in Fairfax County. This regiment formed part of the cavalry escort on the day of the President's obsequies in Washington. The body of Booth and the assassin's accomplice, Harrold, were placed on board the Ide and sent to Washington, arriving here about 6 o'clock this morning.

Special Dispatch to the New-York Times.
Washington, Thursday, April 27.

Without recursing to the circumstances that brought together and put to work a large body of detectives in pursuit of the assassin Booth and his accessories in crime, I propose to state briefly and consecutively the incidents in the pursuits from the time the detachment started from that city until their arrival here this morning with the corpse of Booth and the body of Harrold. The following facts I obtained from Col. Baker and the other persons engaged with him.

From the time the Secretary of War telegraphed Col. L.C.Baker at New-York, twelve days ago, to come here immediately and take charge of the matter of ferretting out the facts, and arresting the criminals in the assassination, up to last Sunday, but little progress was made in the right direction. All the lower counties of Maryland were secured by a large force consisting of 1,600 cavalry and 500 detectives and citizens. On Sunday last Col. Baker learned of a little boy in Maryland some facts which satisfied him that Booth and Harrold had crossed the river about 11 o'clock A.M. and had gone into Virginia. A telegraph operator with a small body of soldiers was sent down the river to tap the wires at a given place and make certain inquiries. This party returned on Monday morning last, bringing with them a negro man whom they picked up at Swan Point, who on being closely interrogated, disclosed that he had seen parties cross in a boat, and the description of these parties assured Col. Baker that Booth and Harrold were the men. No examination or search had yet been made by official authority in Virginia. Demand was made upon Gen. Hancock for a detachment of cavalry, and twenty-eight of the Sixteenth New-York were immediately sent to Col. Baker, under command of Lieut. Dougherty, one of this detachment being Boston Corbett. The whole party were put in charge of Lieut. L.B. Baker and Lieut.Col. E.J. Conger. They were instructed to go immediately to Port Royal; that Booth had crossed the river, and had had about time to reach that point; that he could not ride on horseback, and must therefore have traveled slowly.

At twenty-five minutes past four o'clock on Monday afternoon, this force left the Sixth-street wharp in the steamer Ida. They were directed that when they arrived at the landing place - Belle Plain - they should shove or swim their horses to the shore, if they could not make a landing, for they must have the horses on land. That night the party went down the river four miles, but heard nothing satisfactory. They finally, at daylight, brought up below Port Royal some miles. They returned, finding no trace of the criminals till they got to Port Royal Ferry. Lieut. Baker rode up, found the ferryman, and made inquiries. The ferryman stoutly denied having seen any such persons as those described. Lieut. Baker throttled him and threatened him, yet he denied any knowledge of the persons sought. By the side of the ferryman a negro was sitting. Lieut. Baker presented a likeness of Booth and Harrold. The negro upon looking at these exclaimed, "Why Masse, them's the gentlemen we brought cross the river yesterday." The ferryman then admitted that he had brought Booth and Harrold over the river in his boat. The cavalry was started off and went fourteen miles beyond Garrett's place. There they met a negro who said he saw two men sitting on Garrett's porch that afternoon. The description of one accorded with that of Booth. Lieut. Baker and his party returned to Garrett's house. Garrett denied that the two men had been there. Baker threatened to shoot him if he did not tell the truth. Garrett's son thereupon came out of the house and said the two men were in the barn. The barn was at once surrounded. This was about 2 A.M. Baker went up and rapped at the door. Booth asked "Who are you, friends or foes? Are you Confederates? I have got five men in here, and we can protect ourselves." Col. Baker replied, "I have fifty men out here; you are surrounded, and you may as well come out and surrender." Booth answered, "I shall never give up; I'll not be taken alive." The instructions were that every means possible must be taken to arrest Booth alive, and Baker, Conger and Dougherty held a consultation a few feet from the barn. In the meantime Booth was cursing Harrold for his cowardice, charging him with a desire to meanly surrender, etc.

Col. Baker and his party returned and held a parley with Booth, thus consuming about an hour and a quarter. Another consultation of officers was held, and it was determined that, in view of the probability of an attack from a tolerably large force of rebel cavalry, which they had learned were in the neighborhood, the barn should be fired, and Booth thus forced to come out.

Conger garnered a lot of brush, and placed it against and under the barn, and pulled some hay out of the cracks, in the mean time holding a lighted candle in his hand. Both could now see through the openings of the barn all their movements. The lighted candle was applied to the hay and brush, and directly the flames caught the hay inside the barn. Booth rushed towards the burning hay and tried to put out the fire. Failing in this, he ran back to the middle of the floor, gathered up his arms and stood still pondering for a moment. Whilst Booth was standing in this position Sergt. Boston Corbett ran up to the barn door and fired. Col. Baker, not perceiving where the shot came from, exclaimed "he has shot himself," and rushed into the barn and found Booth yet standing with a carbine in hand. Baker clasped Booth around the arms and breast; the balance of the party had also, in the mean time, got inside. Corbett then exclaimed "I shot him." Booth fell upon the floor apparently paralyzed. Water was sent for and the wound bathed. It was now just 3:15 o'clock. The ball had apparently passed through the neck and the spine. In a few moments Booth revived. He made an effort to lift his hands up before his eyes. In this he was assisted, and upon seeing them he exclaimed somewhat incoherently. "Useless! - useless! - blood! blood!! and swooned away. He revived from time to time, and expressed himself entirely satisfied with what he had done. He expired at 7.10 yesterday morning.

The body was placed in a cart and conveyed to the steamer Ide, and brought upon that vessel to the navy-yard, where the boat arrived at 5:20 o'clock this morning.

While the barn was burning, Harrold rushed out and was grappled by Lieut. Baker, thrown to the ground and secured.

Corbett says he fired with the intention of wounding Booth in the shoulder, and did not intend to kill him.

Booth had in his possession a diary, in which he had noted events of each day since the assassination of Mr. Lincoln. This diary is in the possession of the War Department. He had also a Spencer carbine, a seven-shooter, a revolver, a pocket pistol and a knife. The latter is supposed to be the one with which he stabbed Major Rathbone. His clothing was of dark blue, not Confederate gray, as has been stated.

Corbett, who shot Booth, was born in England, and is about 33 years old. He came to this country some years since, and resided for several years in Troy, N.Y. He resided for a time in Boston, where he became a member of a Methodist Church, and took in baptism the name of "Boston." He is a man of small stature, slight form, mild countenance and quiet deportment.

Surgeon-Gen. Barnes says the ball did not enter the brain. The body, when he examined it this afternoon, was not in a rapid state of decomposition, but was considerably bruised by jolting about in the cart. It is placed in charge of Col. Baker, in the attire in which he died, with instructions not to allow any one to approach it, nor to take from it any part of apparel, or thing for exhibition hereafter; in brief, it is necessary for the satisfaction of the people that two points shall be positively ascertained: first, that the person killed in Garret's barn, and whose body was brought to this city, was J. Wilkes Booth; secondly, that the said J. Wilkes Booth was positively killed. The first point was to-day confirmed by overwhelming testimony, such as no jury would hesitate to accept. The substantial one of the second point is shown in the report of Surgeon-General Barnes, which will be officially announced.

Booth's leg was not broken by falling from his horse, but the bone was injured by the fall upon the stage at the theatre.

Besides the articles heretofore mentioned, Booth had on his person a draft for sixty pounds drawn by the Ontario Bank of Canada on a London barker. The draft was dated in October last.

Continue Reading Transcript


Washington, Thursday, April 27.

On Monday, April 24, the Sixteenth New-York Cavalry detachment started out on the south side of the Potomac in chase of Booth. They crossed the Rappahannock River at Fredericksburgh, and moved down on the west fork of that stream to the vicinity of Port Royal, a distance of some twenty-five miles. They had with them a photograph of Booth and an accurate personal description.

While riding along the road toward an old barn they discovered fresh horse tracks, which were immediately followed to the barn, where Booth and Harrold lay concealed.

The cavalry came up to the barn around 2 o'clock yesterday (Wednesday) morning. Harrold was secured soon after the barn had been surrounded; but Booth was concealed behind some boards, so that the troops could not see him - yet they heard him. He said that it was no use to try to take him alive; that he had a shot for every man who approached the crack in the boards behind which he lay.

At first Booth denied that that was his name, or that he had killed the President. Harrold, also, at first called him some other name.

When it became evident that every man who approached him would be killed, the moment daylight came Sergt. Corbett fired, Booth evidently not expecting a shot. The ball of a navy revolver entered his neck, and he fell over, with his own revolver grasped tightly in his hands.

Garrett, the owner of the barn, denies having secreted Harrold and Booth, and declares that he refused them admittance to his own house, and did not know that they were in his barn.

Negroes and rebel deserters furnished such evidence to the cavalry as to lead to the belief that the two men were somewhere in that section.

Later accounts show that every effort was made to take Booth alive. The troops parlayed with him for nearly an hour. Harrold begged him to surrender, but he persistently refused, stating that he would never be taken alive, and that he would fight all of them, and intended to die for his country then and there.

During the conversation, in which all present begged him to give up, he said that he fractured his leg when jumping from the stage-box on the stage. His last words were, "Tell my mother I died for my country."

On his person were found two Colt's revolvers, each a six-shooter, and the dagger with blood on it, which he had used on Maj. Rathbone.

In his pockets were found a few greenbacks and a sixty pound note on the Bank of Montreal.

Washington, Thursday, April 27. - 3:30 P.M.

The body of Booth has just been formally identified by prominent surgeons. From long exposure it has changed very much.

A surgical operation performed upon him several weeks ago rendered identification easy.

The left leg was broken, and appearances indicate that the injury was sustained when Booth jumped from the President's box to the stage of Ford's Theatre.

The bullet which killed Booth struck the spinal column, paralyzing the body.

Washington, Thursday, April 27.

Yesterday morning a squadron of the Sixteenth New-York Cavalry traced Booth and Harrold to a barn between Bowling-green and Port Royal, near Fredericksburgh, Va.

The barn was surrounded, and a demand made for their surrender, which Harrold was in favor of doing, but upon Booth calling him a coward he refused to do so.

The barn was then set on fire and upon its getting too hot Harrold again presented himself and put his hands through the door to be handcuffed.

While this was going on Booth fired upon the soldiers, upon which a Sergeant fired at him.

The ball of the Sergeant took effect in the head of Booth, killing him.

Harrold was taken alone, and he and Booth's body were brought to the Washington Navy-yard last night.

Booth was discovered in the barn by the cavalry.

He declared his intention never to surrender, and said he would fight the whole squad, consisting of twenty-eight men, if they would permit him to place himself twenty yards distant.

The scouting party was under the command of Lieut. Edward Dougherty.

Both was on a crutch and was lame.

He lived two hours after he was shot, whispering blasphemies against the government and sending a farewell message to his mother.

At the time he was shot it is said he was leaning on his crutch and preparing to fire again upon his captors.

Washington, Thursday, April 27.
The Star has the following particulars of the capture of Booth:

To Lieut.-Col. L.C. Baker, special detective of the War Department and his admirably trained detective force, and to the Sixteenth New-York Cavalry, active participators in the seizures of the criminals, the country owes a debt of gratitude for this timely service.

It seems that a detachment of the Sixteenth New-York Cavalry, numbering about twenty-five men, was dispatched from this city on Monday, under the direction of Col. L.C. Baker, Special Detective of the War Department, in command of Lieut. Dougherty, accompanied by some of Col. Baker's officers, captured and killed Booth, and captured Harrold, one of his accomplices, alive.

The cavalry after leaving here landed at Belle Plain in the night and immediately started out in pursuit of Booth and Harrold, having previously ascertained from a colored man that they had crossed the river into Virginia at Swan Point in a small canoe hired by Booth from a man for three hundred dollars.

Proceeding on toward Bowling Green, some three miles from Port Royal, Lieut. Dougherty, who was in command of the cavalry, discovered that Booth and Harrold were secreted in a large barn owned by a man named Garrett, and were well armed.

The cavalry then surrounded the barn, and summoned Booth and his accomplice to surrender.

Harrold was inclined at first to accede to the request, but Booth accused him of cowardice. Then both peremptorily refused to surrender or, and made preparations to defend themselves.

In order to take the conspirators alive, the barn was fired, and the flames getting too hot for Harrold, he approached the door of the barn, and signified his willingness to be taken prisoner.

The door was then opened sufficiently to allow Harrold to put his arms through that he might be handcuffed.

As an officer was about placing the irons upon Harrold's wrists, Booth fired upon the party from the barn, which was returned by a Sergeant of the Sixteenth New-York, the ball striking Booth in the neck, from the effects of which he died in about four hours.

Booth, before breathing his last, was asked if he had anything to say, when he replied, "Tell my mother that I died for my country."

Harrold and the body of Booth were brought into Belle Plain at 8 o'clock last night, and reached the Navy-yard here at 1 o'clock this morning, on board of the steamer John S. Ide, Capt. Henry Wilson.

The statement heretofore published that Booth had injured one of his legs by the falling of his horse has proved to be correct. After he was shot it was discovered that one of his legs was badly injured, and that he was compelled to wear an old shoe and use crutches, which he had with him in the barn.

Booth was shot about 4 o'clock in the morning, and died about 7 o'clock.

Booth had upon his person some bills of exchange, but only $175 in Treasury Notes.

It appears that Booth and Harrold left Washington together on the night of the murder of President Lincoln, and passed through Leonardstown, Md., concealed themselves in the vicinity until an opportunity was afforded them to cross the river at Swan Point, which they did as above stated.

The man who hired Booth and his accomplice the boat in which he crossed the river was captured, we understand, but afterward made his escape.

Harrold has been lodged in a secure place.

Bowling Green, near which place Booth was killed, is a post office village and the capitol of Caroline County, Virginia, on the road from Richmond to Fredericksburgh, forty-five miles north of the former place, and is situated in a fertile and healthy region. It contains two churches, three stores, two mills, and about three hundred inhabitants.

Port Royal is a post village in Caroline County, Virginia, on the right bank of the Rappahannock River, twenty-two miles below Fredericksburgh. It has a population of 600, and has a good steamboat landing near the place.

Washington, Thursday, April 27.
The Star, in a later edition, has the following of Booth:

Booth and Harrold reached Garrett's some days ago, Booth walking on crutches. A party of four or five accompanied them, who spoke of Booth as a wounded Marylander on his way home, and that they wished to leave him there a short time, and would take him away by the 26th (yesterday). Booth limped somewhat, and walked on crutches about the place, complaining of his ankle. He and Harrold regularly took their meals at the house, and both kept up appearances well.

One day, at the dinner table, the conversation turned on the assassination of the President, when Booth denounced the assassination in the severest terms, saying that there was no punishment severe enough for the perpetrator. At another time, some one said in Booth's presence, that rewards amounting to two hundred thousand dollars had been offered for Booth, and that he would like to catch him, when Booth replied: "Yes, it would be a good haul, but the amount would, doubtless, soon be increased to five hundred thousand dollars."

The two Garrets, who lived on the place, allege that they had no idea that these parties - Booth and Harrold - were any other than what their friends represented them, i.e., paroled Confederate soldiers on their way home. They also say that when the cavalry appeared in that neighborhood, and they heard that they were looking for the assassins, that they sent word to them that these two men were on the place. In other words, they assert that they are entirely innocent of giving the assassins any aid and comfort, knowing them to be such.

The Ide, tug boat, reached here about 2 o'clock last night, with Harrold and the two men above referred to, as well as the body of Booth. Harrold was immediately put in a safe place. He, thus far, it is stated, has manifested no disposition to speak of the affair; but has he was known as a very talkative young man, he may soon resume the use of his tongue.

Booth and Harrold were dressed in Confederate gray new uniforms. Harrold was, otherwise, not disguised much. Booth's mustache had been cut off, apparently with a scissors, and his beard allowed to grow, changing his appearance considerably. His hair had been cut somewhat shorter than he usually wore it.

Booth's body, which we have above described, was at once laid out on a bench, and a guard placed over it. The lips of the corpse are tightly compressed, and the blood has settled in the lower part of face and neck. Otherwise the face is pale, and wears a wild, haggard look, indicating exposure to the elements, and a rough time generally, in his skulking flight. His hair is disarranged and dirty, and apparently had not been combed since he took his flight.

The head and breast are alone exposed to view, the lower portion of the body, including the hands and feet, being covered with a tarpaulin. The shot which terminated his accursed life, entered on the left side, at the back of the neck; a point, curiously enough, not far distant from that in which his victim - our lamented President - was shot.

No orders have yet been given as to what disposition will be made of the body. Large numbers of persons have been seeking admission to the Navy-yard to-day, to get a sight of the body and to hear the particulars; but none excepting the workmen, the officers of the yard, and those holding orders from the Department are allowed to enter.

A Spencer carbine, which Booth had with him in the barn at the time he was shot by Sergt. Corbett, and a large knife with blood on it, supposed to be the one with which Booth cut Major Rathbone, in the theatre box, and which was found on Booth's body, have been brought to the city. The carbine and knife are now in the possession of Col. Baker, at his office.

The bills of exchange, which were for a considerable amount, found on Booth's person, were drawn on banks in Canada, in October last. About that time Booth was known to have been in Canada. It is now thought that Booth's leg was fractured in jumping from the box in Ford's Theatre upon the state, and not by the falling of his horse while endeavoring to make his escape, as was at first supposed.

Continue Reading Transcript


Washington, Thursday, April 27.

The fourth edition of the Star has the following additional details of the capture of Harrold and the killing of Booth:

The detachment of the Sixteenth New-York Cavalry under Lieut. Dougherty, numbering twenty-eight men, and accompanied by two of Col. Baker's detective force, which went down the river on Monday, obtained the first news of Booth at Port Royal on Tuesday evening from an old man, who stated that four men, in company with a rebel Captain, had crossed the Rappahanock a short time previous, going in the direction of Bowling-green; and he added that the Captain would probably be found in that place, as he was courting a lady there. On pushing on to Bowling-green, the Captain was found at a hotel and taken into custody.

From him it was ascertained that Booth and Harrold were at the house of John and William Garrett, three miles back toward Port Royal, and about a quarter of a mile from the road passed over the the cavalry.

In the meantime it appears that Booth and Harrold applied to Garrett for horses to ride to Louisa Court-house; but the latter, fearing the horses would not be returned, refused to hire them, notwithstanding the large sums offered. These circumstances, together with the recriminations of Booth and Harrold, each charging the other with the responsibility of their difficulties, had aroused the suspicions of the Garrett brothers, who urged Booth and Harrold to leave, lest they (the Garretts) should get into trouble with our cavalry. This Booth refused to do without a horse, and the two men retired to a barn, the door of which, after they had entered, Garrett locked and remained himself on guard in a neighboring corn crib; as he alleged, to prevent their horses from being taken and ridden off in the night by Booth and Harold.

Upon the approach of our cavalry from Bowling Green about 3 o'clock on Wednesday morning, the Garretts came out of the corn-crib to meet them and in answer to their inquiries directed them to the barn.

Booth was at once summoned to surrender, but refused. Harrold expressed his willingness to give himself up, but was overruled by Booth for some time, but he finally surrendered, leaving Booth in the barn. The latter, then, summoning a defiant air, called out to know the commanding officer, and proposed to him that his men should be drawn up at fifty yards distance, when he would come out and fight them.

After the barn had been burning three-quarters of an hour, and when the roof was about to fail in, Booth, who had been standing with a revolver in one hand and a carbine resting on the floor, made a demonstration as if to break through the guard and escape. To prevent this, Sergt. Corbett fired, intending to hit Booth in the shoulder, so as to cripple him. The ball, however, struck a little too high and entered the neck, resulting fatally, as above stated.

Booth had in his possession the short, heavy bowie-knife with which he struck Maj. Rathbone, a Spencer carbine, a seven-shooter of Massachusetts manufacture, three revolvers, and a pocket pistol. He wore, beside his suit of gray, an ordinary cloth cap, a heavy high-topped cavalry boot on his right foot, with the top turned down, and a government shoe on his left foot.

No clue could be obtained of the other two men; and taking the two Garretts into custody the command immediately set out for Washington, after releasing the Captain.

Lieut. Dougherty, who commanded the squadron, entered the service with the Seventy-first New-York Militia.

Sergt. Corbett, who shot Booth, was baptized in Boston about seven years ago, at which time he assumed the name of Boston Corbett. To-day he has been greatly lionized, and on the street was repeatedly surrounded by citizens, who occasionally manifested their appreciation by cheers.

The two Garretts are dressed in rebel gray, having belonged to Lee's army and just returned home on parole. They profess to have been entirely ignorant of the character of Booth and Harrold, and manifest great uneasiness concerning their connection with the affair.

Booth and Harrold narrowly escaped capture on this side of the Potomac. Marshal Murray and a posse of New-York detectives tracked them to within a short distance of Swan Point, but the Marshal being unacquainted with the country and without a guide during the darkness of the night, took the long road, and before he could regain the trail, Booth and Harrold succeeded in crossing the river to Virginia.

The report that Booth attempted to shoot himself while in the barn is incorrect. He, however, in his parley with his beseigers, indicated that he would not be taken alive. His manner throughout was that of hardened desperation. Knowing that his doom was sealed, and preferring to meet it there, in that shape, to the more ignominious death awaiting him, if captured, he paid little attention to the fire raging about him, until the roof began to fall in, when he made a movement indicating a purpose to make the desperate attempt to cut his way out, and perhaps really hoped to succeed amid the smoke and confusion. It was this movement on his part that seems to have caused Corbett to fire the fatal shot. Harrold, before leaving the barn, laid down his pistol, which was immediately picked up by Booth, who had it in his hand at the time he was shot.

Boston Corbett, who killed Booth, is said to be a man of deep, religious feeling, who has at prayer meetings lately prayed fervently that the assassin of the late President might be brought to justice. It is said also, that in pulling the trigger upon Booth, he sent up an audible petition for the soul of the criminal.

The pistol used by Corbett was the regular large-sized cavalry pistol. He was offered $1,000 this morning for the pistole with its five undischarged loads.

This afternoon Surgeon-General Barnes, with an assistant, held an autopsy on the body of Booth.

It now appears that Booth and Harrold had on clothes, which were originally some other color than the Confederate gray, but being faded and dusty, presented that appearance.

Washington, Thursday, April 27.

The greatest curiosity is manifested here to view the body of the murderer, Booth, which yet remains on the gunboat, in the stream off the Navy-yard. Thousands of persons visited the yard, to-day, in the hope of getting a glimpse at the murderer's remains, but some not connected with the yard were allowed to enter.

The wildest excitement has existed here all day and the greatest regrets are expressed that Booth, was not taken alive. The news of Booth's death reached the ears of his mistress while she was in a street car, which caused her to weep aloud, and drawing a photographic likeness of Booth from her pocket, kissed it fondly several times.

Harrold, thus far, has evaded every effort to be drawn into a conversation by those who have necessarily come in contact with him since his capture; but outward appearances indicate that he begins to realize the position in which he is placed. There is no hope for his escape from the awful doom that certainly awaits him. His relatives and friends in this city are in the greatest distress over the disgrace that he has brought upon themselves.

Boston Corbett, who shot the assassin Booth, is a native of England. He came to this country when quite a lad, and learning the trade of a barber, was for some years employed by Mr. Espengrid, of No. 118 Nassau-street. On the 12th of April, 1861, he enlisted in the Twelfth New-York Militia, returned to the seat of war with his regiment three times, and was taken prisoner at Harper's Ferry, when Milne surrendered to Stonewall Jackson. He was soon afterwards exchanged, joined the Sixteenth New-York Cavalry, and was captured by Mosby at Fairfax Court-house. Corbett was deserted by his companions when Mosby's cavalry came down upon them. He refused to surrender, and setting his back against a tree, he used his pistols so well, that he kept twenty-six of the rebels at bay for more than hour. His ammunition being expended, he advanced upon them, sword in hand, and Mosby, admiring his gallantry, ordered his men not to fire on him but to take him alive. He was sent to Andersonville, where he saw his comrades die around him by thousands, and contracted a disease from which he is even yet suffering.

Corbett is a member of the Attorney-street Methodist Church, in this city. He is said to be an earnest Christian, reading the Scriptures to his fellow soldiers and preaching the word whenever opportunity offers. His comrades relate that on one occasion he was sent to the guard-house for reproving his Colonel for using profane language on parade. In person he is slightly made, is about five foot six inches in height, and has a mild and intelligent countenance. He is about twenty-six years of age and a widower.

The feeling in the city - Satisfaction at the result.

Considerable excitement was manifested in the city yesterday on the receipt of the intelligence that the assassin Booth had been captured, together with his accomplice, Harrold. The meager details which were first made public, seemed only to whet the people's appetite for more news as to the how, where and when the captures took place, what had been done with the prisoners, how they behaved and what they said. When it became known that booth had been shot, and that the government were only in possession of his dead body, some dissatisfaction was at first expressed, but subsequently public opinion appeared to undergo a change upon this point. The more sensible ones saw that the excitement which has prevailed since the first news of the assassination reached us would only have been increased by Booth's trial and execution, and that it was better that he should have been shot dead than that this excitement should continue.

The comments o the capture were, of course, various. "I wish," said one individual, "that he had been taken alive, so that he might have confessed, and given the names of his accomplices." "Yes," answered another; "but I don't think it would have been easy to get any confession out of him. He seems to have been a determined fellow." "Ah!" said another man, "I'd have had him broke on the wheel" is not in vogue at the present day even in the case of such gigantic crimes as that of Booth's. "I always told you," said a returned soldier, "that he'd escape to those swamps. I know those swamps, and I could point out just the spot where they took him. It's as lonesome a place as you might wish to see. Why, a man might hide there a year and you couldn't find him." "But they did find him," said a small boy. "Why, of course they did," said the soldier, "because they'd tracked him all the way. Don't you remember the newspaper said as Booth fell from his horse and broke his leg; and sure enough, when he was shot it was found he'd been using a crutch." "That's so," said another man, "If he hadn't been lamed he'd got clear away." "What will they do with Harrold?" asked one of the group; "he didn't kill anbody?" "No; but he's supposed to have been the man that unscrewed the lock on the President's box on the theatre, and he's just as bad as Booth," said one of the crowd. "Oh! they must have had no end of confederates," said one man, "else, how could they have kept out of reach so long? Some one must have helped 'em along. They have got sympathizers in Maryland, yet, depend on it." "But they were taken in Virginia," said another man. "Ah, yes; but only after they were hunted out of the Maryland swamps that this soldier's been talking about," said the first man. "Well," was the general exclamation, "we're glad they got him anyhow." "Those as captured him'll get a pretty snug sum for their trouble, too." remarked one person. "$114,000 they say they're to get for the two, alive or dead." "Nothing like offering a good reward for capturing criminals," said one man. "It brightens the eyes of those who are looking after 'em amazingly." "Well," said another, "I am glad all the excitement's cooling down. We've had enough of it lately to last for a year or two to come. Why, there was a boy, the other day, cut his throat all through this excitement, and there'll be others doing the same thing if one don't take care. New-York's been turned topsy turvy for the last two or three days."

Judging from the casual expressions which were let fall yesterday, there is but little doubt that the public are glad that the affair of Booth's capture ended as it did.

Superintendent Kennedy entered the court room while the police trials were progressing, yesterday morning, and announced the capture of Booth and his companion, Harrold. The news was received by the officers and men who filled the room with the most uproarious clapping of hands, etc., and it was some minutes before quiet could be restored.

From the Pittsburgh Chronicle.

From Mr J.F. Duncan, a worthy citizen of Pittsburgh, who has just returned from Meadville, Penn., we learn the following interesting facts relative to the premeditation of the murder of the President by Booth, which add to the evidence already accumulated to show that the terrible crime was concocted long since, though instead of the pistol, poison was to be used to effect his hellish purpose.

On the 4th of June, 1864, Booth registered his name, took a room, and remained a short time at the McHenry House, Meadville. While there he wrote with his diamond ring, upon the glass in the window of his room, this sentence:

"Abe Lincoln departed this life Aug'st 13th, 1864. By poison."

Since then Booth has been in the habit of frequently sending people to the McHenry House, and they have generally occupied the room he had. The names of all these persons are now being transcribed from the hotel register, and will be placed in the hands of the proper authorities, in order that they may be traced up and one more clue, at least, be gained toward the discovery of the foul plot of assassination to which our beloved President has fallen a victim. The plate of glass on which the sentence quoted was written, has been carefully removed from the window and framed for preservation. The writing on it exactly corresponds with the signature of Booth on the register. It is undoubtedly his.

This information is in the hands of Mr. Snowden, agent here for the Associated Press, who will at once transmit it all over the country.

Rebel Venom on the Assassination of Lincoln.
A gentleman directly from St. Thomas informs us that on board the British steamer Rider he met Ex. Senator Gwin, direct from France; Commodore Barrow, Capt. Pegram and Lieut. Barnet, all rebel officers, and traveling under assumed names. They had fifteen or twenty persons to their train, and were evidentally bound for "Cowes and a market."

The news of President Lincoln's assassination and the attempt on Secretary Seward was received at Havana on Saturday last, at the same time with the news of the fall of Richmond and the surrender of Lee's army. The whole rebel party were on the upper deck when they received the news, and Gwin attempted at once to raise a cheer, but he met with no response. In Havana the feeling among all respectable citizens was one of profound regret.

The Lincoln Memorial Fund.
To the Editor of the New-York Times:

As Treasurer of the Lincoln memorial Fund, I would suggest your mentioning in your paper, tomorrow, that it would be desirable for the Customhouse, Post-office, police force and various other public bodies, to collect from each one of their attaches, the dollar, and pay the whole amount to me and have them recorded accordingly. This would simplify the matter and accomplish the work much sooner.
New-York, April 27, 1865.
No. 95 Wall-street.

Carpenter's Sketch of President Lincoln.
No. 825 Broadway, Monday, April 24, 1865.
To the Editor of the New-York Times:

In your account of the decorations at the City Hall I notice that Mr. Carpenter's portrait sketch of President Lincoln is surrounded by twenty-six stars.

It being mentioned in yesterday's and this morning's paper it appears they are meant to have expressions, otherwise I should not have thought the incident worth notice. These stars, I suppose, represent States - then the inference is that President Lincoln was President of that number of States only, and not the "United States," which, as you know, is the copperhead or rebel distinction. I think the proper authorities should correct this matter at once, in honor to the memory of our murdered President, and in justice to ourselves. If there is not room enough around the portraits for the whole number of stars reprenting the United States, then let them put the original thirteen, representing the foundation of our government.

Official Report of the Shooting of Booth

NY Times Articles

Henry L. Burnett
Map to Gen. Burnett Pages
XMemories of Lincoln Trial

Family Tree
Family Tree

NJ Governor
Lewis Morris


Henry Livingston
Night Before Xmas
Henry Livingston

George Bush

Bradley Van Deusen

Jean Van Deusen


site map
Site Map

IME logo Copyright © 2007, Mary S. Van Deusen