Edward Antill, the owner of a 370-acre farm situated about a mile from New Brunswick along the Raritan
River on the south and Raritan Landing on the west, advertised his place for sale in December, 1752.
He carried on a "brewing business," in a large new brewhouse, 60 feet long and 38 feet wide, with a new copper holding 22
barrels. The entire setup was "contrived for carrying the Liquor from Place to Place with ease,
by turning of a Cock, or taking out of a Plug." Everything was complete for carrying on brewing. The farm would be sold with or
without the brewhouse and Antill intended to continue brewing until the brewery was sold ("The New-York Gazette,
Revived in the Weekly Post-Boy," December 11, 1752.)
Edward Antill's father, of the same name, was a New York merchant who had purchased the large tract of land
along the Raritan on which is son lived, farmed and operated a distillery as well as the brewery. "The Pennsylvania Gazette" of July 16, 1752,
reported that on "Thursday evening last," during a thunderstorm at New Brunswick, New Jersey, lightning struck the
"Presbyterian Meeting-house," a stillhouse across the river belonging to Mr. Schuyler, and also shattered a brewhouse belonging to
Mr. Antill. [Undoubtedly the reason for the new brewhouse.]
After the death of Edward Antill in 1770 at Piscataway, his plantation, including his brewhouse, on the banks of the Raritan
River within a mile and a half of New Brunswick was advertised to be sold at a private sale, by Walter Livingstone, in "The New-York Gazette;
and the Weekly Mercury" of October 19, 1772.