Rev. James Anderson
Reverend James Anderson17 Nov 1678, Dowhill, Glasgow, Scotland
16 Jul 1740, Donegal, Lancaster PA
+ 5 Dec 1712, New Castle, New Castle, DE
24 Dec 1736, Donegal, Lancaster PA
History of the Presbytery of Philadelphia, p98
Mr. Anderson was born in Scotland, November 17, 1678, and was ordained by Irvine Presbytery, Nov 17, 1708, with a view to his settlement in Virginia. He arrived in the Rappahannock April 22, 1709, but the state of things not warranting his stay, he came northward, and was received by the Presbytery September 20th of that year. He settled at New Castle, Delaware. In 1717 he accepted a call to a congregation in New York, which at the time, was worshipping in City Hall. September 24, 1726, he received a call to Donegal, on the Susquehanna, and accepted it. He was installed the last Wednesday in August, 1727. In September, 1729, he began to give every fifth Sabbath to the people in Swatara, and joined the congregtion of Derry. In April, 1738, the Presbytery decided to ask the Synod to send a deputation to wait on the Virginia Government, and solicit its favor in behalf of Presbyterianism there. The Synod wrote to the Governor, and sent Mr. Anderson to bear the letter, providing supplies for his pulpit, and allowing for his expenses "in a manner suitable to his design." This mission was performed satisfactorily. He died July 16, 1740.
At the time of his death, he owned a farm of 305 acres well stocked and three slaves. He was a charter member of Donegal Presbytery October 11, 1732, and was Moderator of the Synod of Philadelphia May 23, 1739. February, 1713 he married Suit Garland, daughter of Sylvester Garland of the head of Apoquiminy, by whom eleven children. She died December 24, 1836 and he married Rebecca Crawford of Donegal, Pennsylvania.
ANDERSON, Rev. James, was a native of Scotland, born November 17, 1678, was educated under Principal Stirling of Glasgow, and ordained by Irvine Presbytery, November 17, 1708, with a view to his settlement in Virginia. He sailed March 6,1709. and arrived in the Rappahanock on the 22d of April following, but the state of things there not warranting his stay, he came northward, and was received by the Presbytery September 20. He settled at New Castle. In 1714, out of regard to the desolate condition of the people in Kent county, he was directed to supply them monthly on a Sabbath, and also to spend a Sabbath at Cedar creek, in Sussex. He subsequently ministered in New York, but owing to some difficulties in the congregation there he desired a removal.
He was called September 24, 1726, to Donegal, on the Susquehanna, and accepted it. He was installed the last Wednesday in August, 1727. In September, 1729, he gave every fifth Sabbath to the people on Swatara, and joined the congregation of Derry, thus becoming the first settled pastor over that church, until the call of Rev. William Bertram, 1732. He died July 16, 1740. In the language of the Presbytery,
"he was high in esteem for
circumspection, diligence and faithfulness as a Christian minister."
The Rev. Mr. Anderson married, February, 1712-13, Suit Garland, daughter of Sylvester Garland, of the Head of Apoqunimy. She died December 24, 1736. He then married Rachel Wilson, December 27, 1737. His son Garland Anderson, married Jane, daughter of Peter Chevalier, of Philadelphia, but died early.
His daughter Elizabeth married Samuel Breeze, resided in New York, and was a woman of great excellence. A brother of the Rev. Mr. Anderson was John Anderson, of Perth Amboy, who in 1712 was made one of the council of the Province of New Jersey. He died in March, 1736, aged seventy-three, being then president of the council.
A History of Lancaster County by H.M.J. Klein, 1926
James Anderson, who was the first regular pastor of Donegal Presbyterian church,
made his home in Donegal from 1727 to his death, 1740. He was born in Scotland in
1678, and had been in the ministry in America since 1709. He was one of the founding
members of Newcastle Presbytery in 1716, was later in a New York charge, and
accepted call to Donegal in 1726. He was a man of broad mind, and was not long in
Donegal before he saw that distorted matters of land-title needed straightening, and he
gave them his careful inteligent attention. He himself purchased a tract of 305 acres in
1727 from Peter Allen, an Indian trader. It was not until 1737 that he straightened the
titles of some of the land holdings of some of his congregation, "which then included
nearly the whole population of Donegal township." He frequently rode to Philadelphia
to plead the cause of the people with the Provincial Government in the differences
over land-titles, and finally cleared the disputes to general satisfaction.
accomplished, Rev. Anderson gave some thought to his own affairs. He had for ten
years lived on a farm he had exchanged with William Wilkins for the Peter Allen tract
he had bought. The Wilkins tract was along the river, and upon part of it the borough
of Marietta de- veloped. But when Rev. James Anderson was able to think of his own
affairs, in 1737, he only saw in his river-farm the possibility of establishing a ferry. He
applied for a patent for a ferry, but was unable to get it for some time, owing to the
objections of John Wright, who then had a ferry three miles further down the river.
However, he secured the right eventually; and it was probably because of that ferry
patent that his son held to the land, and also his grandson, James (3d), and
great-grandson, James (4th), who founded the town of Waterford in 1804, which town
was merged with another ultimately to form the borough of Marietta.
American Weekly Mercury,|
Aug 17-24, 1727
ON the 2d Day of the 8th Month,
October next, at New-Castle, will be
exposed to sale by publick Vendue,
two Plantations lying at the Head of
Apoquinomie Creek, in the County
of New-Castle, belonging to the
Estate of Sylvester Garland
deceas'd, and which formerly
belong'd to Capt. Haily. containing
betwixt the two Places near 700
Acres; there is an Orchard upon
each Plantation, a House and Barn
upon one of them, there is good
conveniency for building either
Fulling or Grist Mill; there is on the
Land a landing Place from the
Creek, to which a small sloop may
be brought from Delaware Bay &c.
there is a pretty deal of clear Land
on it, the Land is good; and the Title
indisputable. The two Places may be
sold either joyntly and separatly: If
any want to Enquire further into
the Premisses they may be informed
by James Anderson Minister, late of
New-York, now at Donnigall, in the
county of Chester, Pennsilvania,
who has the Power of Disposing of
said Plantations either publickly or
privately, as he shall see Cause.
Rev. James Duncanson
Reverend James DuncansonAbt. 1564, Stirling, Scotland
11 July 1624, Alloa, Clackmannanshire, Scotland
+ Bef. 1612
Alloa, Clackmannanshire, Scotland
History of the Presbytery of Philadelphia, p98
Rev. Duncanson was the son of Rev. John Duncanson,
Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland in 1574 and 1576.
Rev. James graduated from the University of Glasgow in 1585, and
became vicar of Alloa, near Stirling, Scotland in Feb 1589.
Although the Reverend and his wife remained in Scotland, four of his daughters emigrated to America.
Catalyn married Sander Leendertse Glen (Alexander Glen) in 31 October 1638 in Oudekerk, Amsterdam, Holland,
and they settled in Schnectady on an estate called Scotia, the home still being in existence today.
Maritje Duncanson married Pieter Jans Loockersmans, Margaret married William Teller, and Jannetje married Thomas Poulussen.
Dr. Thomas Burnet, M.A.
Dr. Thomas Burnet, M.A.Abt. 1570, Leys, Kincardineshire, Scotland
Abt. 1590, London, Middlesex Co., , England
Dr. Thomas Burnet was the son of Alexander Burnet, 11th Lord of Leys, and Katherine Arbuthnot,
direct descendant of Robert II, King of Scotland and also Niall "of the nine hostages" King of Ireland.
Alexander's son Duncan tells that one his father's ambitions was that his sons be men of learning and culture.
Son Thomas was born in Crathes Castle, Leys, and was educated about 1603 in University of Cambridge.
He was employed as a doctor in Cambridge and Braintree, England, and was described as a "physician of eminence."
Brother Duncan was another doctor, brother Robert a minister, and brother Gilbert a Professor of Philosophy at Basle.
Brother Alexander, a close friend of the Chancellor of Scotland, succeeded his father as the 12th Lord of Leys.
It was by this Lord of Leys that the construction of Crathes Castle, begun by the 9th Lord, was finally finished.
Bishop of Salisbury Gilbert Burnet was the grandson of Alexander, the 12th Lord, making him
the grandnephew of Alexander's brother, Dr. Thomas Burnett.
Bishop Gilbert's son, Governor William Burnet, was Dr. Burnet's great grandnephew.
Rev. William Livingston
Rev. William Livingston1576, probably Monyabroch, Scotland
1641, Lanark, Scotland
Abt. 1583-1585, of Falkirk, of the House of Dunipace, in Stirlingshire
1617, Lanark, Scotland
Rev. William Livingston, son of Rev. Alexander and Barbara (Livingston) Livingston, was born 1576, probably at Monyabroch. He completed his education at the University of Glasgow, where he laureated in 1595. After leaving this institution, he was ordained, January 13, 1596, to preach privately; on January 27 was licensed; July 10 was instituted, and on July 13 ordained, at first taking temporary charge of the Monyabroch parish on account of his father's infirmity. On February 20, 1599, he was appointed to fill the vacancy permanently. Church affiars were in so unsettled a condition both in England and Scotland, that within six years of this time he was not only deposed by the king on advice of the privy council, and confined to the bounds of his parish, but at the end of that time no less a person than the king presented the living of Lanark to him. He was a leader in the great struggle between the bishops and the Presbyterian clergy, about which a book might be written, a contest leading to the outbreak shortly of civil warfare. He died prior to October, 1641. Rev. William Livingston married three times; firstly, Agnes, daughter of Alexander Livingston, of Falkirk, of the House of Dunipace, in Stirlingshire. She has been described as "a rare pattern of piety and meekness." She died in 1617 aged about thirty-two years. By this time he had three sons and four daughters. His second wife was Nicolas Somervell, by whom he had three daughters. The third wife was Marion Weir, and she also died before her reverend husband. It is not known that he had issue by this marriage.
Rev. Alexander Livingston, M.A.
Rev. Alexander Livingston, M.A.of Monyabroch Scotland
+ Abt. 1570, Kilsyth Castle, Stirling, Scotland
Abt. 1556, Kilsyth Castle, Stirling, Scotland
Rev. Alexander Livingston, son of James Livingston, who was killed in 1547 at Pinkie, was in 1561 the first rector of Monyabroch after the legal establishment of the reformed doctrines in Scotland. He had as his stipend, according to the "Book of Assignation of Stipends," a most meagre living, "the third of the parsonage and vicarage, extending to three chaldees, five bolls, and one-third boll of meal, and the third of the vicarage pensionary of Monyabroch, three pounds, six shillings and eight pence (Scots)." He must have been a man of importance, for he was appointed by the Scottish Privy Council, March 6, 1689, one of the three clerical commissioners for overseeing the maintenance of the Protestant religion in Stirlingshire, and of the seven commissioners, three clerical and four lay, three were of the Livingston family. He was so aged and infirm in 1594 that the Presbytery applied to the synod for an assistant. He died about 1598. He married Barbara Livingston, of the House of Kilsyth, by whom one child.
He was known as Master Alexander Livingston, a reference to his degree of Master of Arts.
Dr. Charles Higinbotham
Dr. Charles Higinbotham1690, St. Philip, Barbados, West Indies
1782, Newport, RI
Family History of Central NY, Vol. III, Central New York Family Histories p1580
Dr. Charles Higinbotham's family came from England, but his brother moved to Barbados, where he purchased
Charles was a graduate of the Royal Academy of Physicians and Surgeons.
He emigrated to the colony of Rhode Island in 1720, and lived there from that time until his death.
Master James Livingston, M.A.
Master James Livingston, M.A.?
10 Sep 1547, Pinkiefield
James Livingston, second son of Sir William Livingston, the fourth Lord of Callender, was killed at Pinkie prior to October 13, 1547, in what was known as the battle on "Black Saturday," and in a list of the arrestment of good after his decease appear such articles of the fight as a camp-bed and quarrels or bolts for a crossbow, also such things as tapestry, books, a lute, personal apparel, etc.
Master James Livingston who, as he is styled "Master", must have taken a degree in Arts at one of the Universities, probably the University of Glasgow. Unfortunately,
there is a gap in the records of this university for the period between 1509 and 1536 which would have covered his student days.